Preserving the best, Improving the rest!
The Abergavenny and District Civic Society is a long established organisation. We have over 100 members which includes residents and local businesses. Our stated aims and objectives, along with our activities, are shown below.
- To make Abergavenny and surroundings a better place for all who live and work and shop there
- To protect Abergavenny’s character and heritage and improve its amenities
- To make our market town more welcoming and attractive for everyone
- To stimulate public interest in, and care for, the beauty, history and character of the town and its surrounding area
- To encourage conservation of the town’s character together with high standards of building and urban planning for all proposed developments
- To support any proposals that would increase the prosperity and wellbeing of the town
- To promote civic pride
- To provide a forum for discussion on local affairs of public interest
- To comment to the Local Authorities on all significant planning proposals and suggests improvements to the area’s services and facilities
- To provide a popular monthly programme of meetings, speakers, visits and social events of wide interest to its members. We usually meet on the 2nd Monday of the month at the Methodist Hall, Castle Street at 7.30pm.
Read how our Civic Society reinvented itself in 2009 by clicking here.
The work of the Civic Society is overseen by a committee and steering group elected each year at our AGM. The current committee are:
Stan Pochran – Chair
Dick Cole – Vice Chair
Jane Hemington – Vice Chair
Judith Vicary – Secretary
Ian Vicary – Treasurer
Mike Foden – Membership Secretary
Programme Secretary – Ruth Coulthard
Peter Johns – Minutes Secretary
Kath Bransom – Social Secretary
Additional Steering Group members – Clive Bransom, Phil Bowyer, Sue Konieczny, Tony Konieczny, Alan Michie, David Sheers, Jay Shipley.
If you would like to join our steering group or become involved in any of our projects, we’d love to hear from you.